Mp4 To M4v For Mac
The M4V file format was developed by Apple. It is a video container format very similar to MP4 only that M4V files may optionally be protected by DRM copy protection Additional information.
by Brian Fisher Jun 11,2020 Proven solutions
- Professional M4V to MP4 Converter to Convert M4V to MP4 Mac/Windows. UniConverter is a clean.
- If the MP4 file contains any codec that is not compatible with playing with Mac or other devices, you need to convert MP4 to M4V, which is the default file format of Apple. Read below to know the best solution on how to convert MP4 to M4V Mac easily and quickly. Best Video Converter to Convert MP4 to M4V on Mac.
M4V is a widely used video format for Apple devices. If you have downloaded a video, movie, or TV series from your iTunes store, they will be saved in M4V format on your system. Playing M4V on portable players and an array of devices may result in incompatibility issues and the best solution here is to convert the format to a more compatible format. Since MP4 can be played on the majority of the devices, convert M4V to MP4 Mac. Below listed are the best tools to get the conversion task done.
Part 1: Best M4V to MP4 Mac conversion tool- UniConverter for Mac
To take care of all your conversion and other video-related activities, UniConverter works as the best software. Working on Mac as well as Windows systems, the program allows conversion between more than 1000 formats including M4V to MP4. With batch processing, multiple files at a time can be converted and the process is fast and in lossless quality.
- Supports file conversion in more than 1000 formats including M4V to MP4.
- Lossless quality file conversion at a super-fast speed.
- Batch processing supported to convert multiple files at a time.
- Allows customizing files before the conversion using the built-in editor.
- Supports video Download, recording, transfer, compression, and a host of other features.
- Software available for download on Windows and Mac devices.
Add M4V files to convert
Launch the UniConverter on your Mac system and click on the +Add Files button on the Convert section to browse and load the M4V files present locally. Files can also be dragged and dropped and can be imported from devices as well.
Choose MP4 as the target format
After the videos are added, expand the drop-down menu to Convert all tasks to tab at the top-right corner. From the Video tab, select MP4 as the target format. You can either choose to keep the resolution as the source file or can select from the available options.
Convert M4V to MP4 on Mac
The system location to save the converted file can be selected at the Output tab. Finally, to start the batch conversion of all the added files, hit on the Convert All button. On the software interface, the processed file can be managed from the Converted tab.
Part 2: 5 Free Tools to Convert M4V to MP4 on Mac
Several MP4 to M4V converters for free use are available as well. Below listed are the top names in the category.
This is free to use the open-source video trans coding program that allows converting all popular multimedia formats as well as files from the DVD and Blu-ray sources to MP4 and MKV format. The interface of the program is simple and the tool can be downloaded on an array of platforms including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Convert multimedia, DVD, and Blu-ray files to MKV and MP4 format
- Files can be edited by the change in their parameters and other features using the program
- Video filters can be added while you convert m4v to MP4 Mac handbrake
- Option for live static and video preview
- Support for VFR and CFR
- Batch scanning and queuing of encodes supported
VLC is a free and cross-platform multimedia player that works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and other platforms. Multimedia files in almost all formats, DVD files, VCD files, audio CDs and files on streaming protocols can be easily played using this player. Besides video playback, the software supports a host of other features as well including video conversion. So if you already have VLC installed on your system, no need for any additional program to convert M4V to MP4 format.
- Powerful media player with support to playback of almost all formats and file types
- Facilitates converting video files in all major formats including M4V to MP4
- The file conversion task is simple and easy
- Advanced options like change in video codec, audio codec, subtitles, and encapsulation also supported
- Option for adding video filters also available
- Being a cross-platform tool, it works on all platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, and others
Earlier known as Media.io this is an online converter that needs no download or installation and works from your browser window. Using the program, files in all major formats can be converted to a host of audio and video formats. A maximum of 2 files at a time can be converted using the tool and the size limit cannot be more than 100 MB per file.
- Free to use software with a simple interface
- Support all major formats for the conversion
- 100 MB is the maximum supported file size
- Two files at a time can be converted
- Option to get the notification on the mail about the process completion
- The processed file can be saved locally or to the Dropbox account
This browser-based tool allows adding files from the local system, Google Drive, Dropbox, URL, and One Drive for the conversion process. The interface is user-friendly and the process results in decent quality files. The editing options of the tool allow changing various file parameters like video codec, audio codec, profile, fps, and others. At a time two files can be converted.
- Support file conversion between all major formats and file types
- Files from multiple sources can be added to the interface
- Video editing and change in file parameters supported
- Converted files can be saved locally or can be saved to the cloud storage
- No software download or installation needed
Local, online, Google Drive, and Dropbox files can be added to this free online tool for quick and hassle-free conversion. Multiple files within the maximum supported size of 100 MB can be added to the interface for the process. Option to change file parameters like frame size, codec, profile, and others are also there. You can even cut, resize and rotate the files if required.
- File conversion between an array of video, audio, and image files supported
- The maximum supported file size is 100 MB
- Video editing and change in file parameters supported
- The converted file can be downloaded locally
- Option for the preview of the converted file
Part 3: The comparison of 6 M4K to MP4 Converters
Above mentioned are different types of tools for converting M4V to MP4. The table below compares these programs on various parameters so that you can select the one that best matches your requirements.
VLC Media Player
|Platform||Windows and Mac||Windows, Mac, and Linux||Windows, Mac, and Linux||Windows and Mac||Windows and Mac||Windows and Mac|
|Conversion Speed||Super fast||Fast||Fast||Internet Dependent||Internet Dependent||Internet Dependent|
|Editing||Yes, using a complete built-in editor||Basic editing||Basic editing||No||Basic editing||Basic editing|
|Price||Paid software with a free trial version||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
M4V to MP4 conversion can be done using the online tools and freeware programs listed above. For advanced features and lossless quality conversion of batch files, UniConverter is the best tool.
Part 4. Further Reading: Difference between MP4 and M4V
While M4V and MP4 can be easily mistaken for each other because of their similarities they are also different. M4V is a video format that is specifically designed for Apple products and can open in iTunes by default, it can only be played on authorized Apple gadgets, it cannot be transferred to other devices for playback without removing iTunes FairPlay DRM.
MP4 is a widely used multimedia format; it can be used for streaming audio, storing digital video and other useful data. Almost all media players, programs and devices recognizes MP4, it is also favored for streaming and broadcast because it loads faster and has quality features.
M4V is a division of MP4 which make is very similar to MP4. The two are known for high quality as well as good balance in quality and size, both M4V and MP4 also support multiple contents and can both coexist in a single file.
|Developer and Application||Developed by Apple Inc. and designed specifically for apple products||Designed by moving picture group (MPEG) and it can be played on most media players.|
|Video Audio Codec||H.264, AAC, AC3||MPEG-4/H.264, AAC|
|Compatibility||Can only be played on a computer through iTunes and is limited to Apple products.||It is much universal, and it can be played on all devices and media players.|
|Popularity||It becomes popular with the trend of Apple products like iPad, Mac, iPhone, etc.||It is widely used for uploading, streaming and sharing of the internet. It is more user-friendly to transfer, save, copy and playback on mobile devices.|
by Christine Smith • 2020-10-28 17:34:47 • Proven solutions
Developed by Apple, M4V is a video container format that is used for encoding files like movies, TV episodes, music videos, and others in the iTunes Store. M4V files may be protected by DRM copy protection, and thus, in order to play these files, the PC needs to be authorized and use iTunes. In addition to Apple Quick Time Player and iTunes, these files can also be played with an array of other devices like VLC media player, Media Player Classic, K-Multimedia Player, and others.
When it comes to videos, MP4 is one of the most commonly used formats, and Mac is no exception to this. As per the technical specifications of Apple products, the MP4 file format is supported by QuickTime, iTunes, and other devices. In spite of the claimed support to MP4, many times, these videos are not played on Mac devices because of an incompatible codec. MP4 is basically a video container format where different codecs are used for encoding videos. If the MP4 file contains any codec that is not compatible with playing with Mac or other devices, you need to convert MP4 to M4V, which is the default file format of Apple. Read below to know the best solution on how to convert MP4 to M4V Mac easily and quickly.
Part 1. Best Video Converter to Convert MP4 to M4V on Mac
Looking for a solution on how to convert MP4 to M4V on Mac? The best professional software to take care of all your conversion needs is Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). Available for Mac as well as Windows, this amazing software has everything that you need to play and enjoy your favorite video player. It allows converting video and audio to over 1000 popular formats without any loss of quality. The software supports 4K as well as VR video formats. Thanks to the APEXTRANS technology used by the software, the conversion speed is 30 times faster as compared to other converters available.
Wondershare UniConverter - Best Video Converter for Windows / Mac (Catalina Included)
- Directly convert MP4 to M4V, VOB (DVD-Video ), AVI, MKV, MOV and other 1000 formats.
- Convert any videos to devices compatible formats like iPhone, iPad, Android phones, iDVD, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, etc.
- Edit videos with trimming, cropping, rotating, adding subtitles, applying effects, and more others.
- Burn video to DVD or Blu-ray disc to play with your DVD player.
- Compress files size smaller without losing quality.
- Transfer videos to external devices easily via a USB cable.
- Download videos from YouTube and other 10000+ video sharing sites.
- Multiple functions supported: image converter, CD/DVD converter, fixing media metadata, GIF maker, screen recorder, etc.
- Supported OS: Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, Windows 10/8/7/2003/Vista/XP.
Steps to Convert MP4 to M4V on Mac Easily Using Wondershare UniConverter:
Step 1 Launch Wondershare M4V Converter and Load MP4 Files
Download, install, and launch Wondershare UniConverter on your Mac. On the main interface, click the +Add Files icon to browse for desired MP4 files, or you can use the drag-and-drop method to add files. If you have multiple files, you can convert MP4 files to M4V in batch.
Step 2 Select M4V as Output Format for MP4 to M4V Conversion
Once the MP4 file is added to the software, select M4V from the output section by clicking the Setting > Video tab, also choose the video resolution in the right.
Step 3 Start Converting MP4 to M4V
Mp4 To M4v Mac
Click the Convert icon to initiate the MP4 to M4V conversion process. If several files should be converted, then click the Start All button to convert MP4 to M4V on Mac in batch. After a while, the desired MP4 file will be successfully converted to M4V format. You can click the File Location icon at the bottom of the main interface to find the converted file.
Watch Video Tutorial to Convert MP4 to M4V on Windows, Similar on Mac
Part 2. Other Recommended Video Converters to Convert MP4 to M4V
In addition to Wondershare UniConverter, we have shortlisted 4 more decent software and online programs that will help you to convert MP4 to M4V online, free of charge. Read below to know more about these programs.
1. Online UniConverter (originally Media.io)
M4v To Mp4 Converter Software
Online UniConverter is the best free online MP4 to M4V converter that allows converting files to various different formats, including MP4 to M4V. Works on both Mac and Windows browser, Online UniConverter is free to use and does not require any installation or registration. An array of formats, including video, audio files, are supported by the program. It also supports converting 2 files at a time. The converted files are available for downloading to the computer directly or saved to Dropbox.
2. Apowersoft Video Converter Studio
This is another decent video converter software that allows video conversion with minimum quality loss. In addition to the converter, the software also works as an editor, downloader, screen recorder, and a player. The program supports a wide array of video, audio, and device compatible formats. The program also allows customizing video parameters like width, bitrate, size, and others. HD and standard 4K videos are also supported by the program. The software also allows editing videos, sharing them to social network sites, and sharing to the big TV screen. There is also an option to burn DVDs.
Convertio is an online tool that is free to use and allows converting files to various different formats. The program does not require any registration or installation and also allows saving the converted files to Google Drive or Dropbox. Using the tool, you simply need to upload your MP4 file, select M4V as the output format, and the converted files will be available for download. In addition to PC, the tool allows uploading files from Dropbox, Google Drive, and URL. The program allows uploading a maximum of up to 100MB files.
4. Apowersoft Free Online Video Converter
This is a free online tool from Apowersoft that allows converting MP4 to M4V formats without installing any software. The tool is available for Windows as well as Mac devices and supports an array of video, audio, and device compatible formats. Using the tool, you simply need to load the video file, select the desired output format, and the converted file will be available for download. The program also supports 4K, HD, 3D, AVCHD, and HEVC files.
Part 3. Compare The 5 MP4 to M4V Video Converters
Mp4 To M4v For Mac Converter
To help you choose the best software for converting MP4 to M4V on Mac, below is the comparison table of the top 5 converters listed above.
|Software Name||Wondershare UniConverter||Online UniConverter||Apowersoft Video Converter Studio||Convertio||Apowersoft Free Online Video Converter|
|Supported Input Formats||Almost all popular formats||Popular formats including MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, MP3, AAC, AC3, and others||All popular video, audio and device compatible formats.||Majority of the popular formats||All Popular formats including MP4, MOV, MKV, VOB, 4K, 3D, and others.|
|Supported Output Formats||More than 1000 formats included 4K and VR.||All popular formats, including MOV, VOB, AVI, MP4, MP3, M4A, FLAC, and others||A wide array of formats, including MP4, 3GP, DV, VOB, ASF, MP3, MP2, FLAC, and others.||More than 200 popular formats||Majority of popular formats|
|Convert Local Videos||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Convert Online Videos||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Customizing Videos with Editing functions||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|Price||Varies from plan to plan||Free||Varies from plan to plan||Free||Free|
So, if you are looking for solutions on how to convert MP4 to M4V on Mac, Wondershare UniConverter will prove to be the best choice. The software supports the wide array of formats and allows conversion without any quality loss at fast speed.